Last night the Hereford FC Community U18 side made further progress in the FA Youth Cup by beating hosts AFC Telford United U18. The young Bulls will now face Solihull Moors in the next round. Here is Simon Wright’s match report.

AFC Telford United U18  1 – 2  Hereford FC Community U18.  FA Youth Cup 1st Qualifying Round.

A hugely satisfying victory over an accomplished and unbeaten home side. In doing so, maintaining the remarkable record of Hereford FC teams not losing to their Shropshire counterparts.

The young Bulls were clearly in the ascendancy in the first half.  Teddy Mee was an impressive front man, ably supported by Cam Davies and the rotating wide men Lewis Rose and Alton Walwyn.  The 16-year-old has already played for Lads Club first team and his smooth attacking play were the talk of the home support post-match.  Davies (twice),Walby and Powell had all gone close to opening the scoring before Cam Davies did a “Tex” in the 32md minute. His spectacular effort from 25 yards probably took a slight deflection but even so what a moment for the estimated 150 attendance. It is to be hoped that such a moment can be shared on video.   Rhodes, Mee and Cam Davies (twice) nearly added to the lead.

The home side had to respond in the second half and did so by introducing a man marker for Cam Davies. Their players became more influential and within minutes, keeper Shay Sperry blocked out a one-on-one chance and minutes later he tipped round a dangerous header around the post.  The Hereford back four of Hughes, Lund, Nowell and Thompson were generally defending well. Sadly in the 58th minute, a cramped-up Hughes couldn’t quite intercept a through ball and the home side went on to equalise, despite Sterry’s best efforts. Hughes had to be replaced by the well-built William Morris.

With both sides keen on a win, the midfield battle became more intense with tackling becoming increasing determined. First year Zac Powell had an outstanding battling game driving forward regularly, closely followed by a determined showing by Aidan Rhodes.  Ball winner Jack Mayo-Evans left the bench to add his steel. Penalties were looming as both sides cancelled each other out with several players enduring cramp.

Then the Bulls found a brilliant winner.  In a fine team move in the 81st minute, the ball was worked to Lewis Rose on the edge of the box. He could have shot but instead passed to Teddy Mee.  The strikers’ shot was hard but their goalkeeper had it covered and then he didn’t.  Understandably, Teddy with his 7th goal in 5 games, celebrated in style with his team mates.  With only a couple of alarming moments to endure, the U18s saw out the rest of the regulation time and a slightly worrying six added minutes.

Their reward is a home match against Solihull Borough at Edgar Street next week (date to be confirmed).

Hereford U18:  Shay Sterry, Harvey Hughes (William Morris 58) , Oskar Lund, Rory Thompson (capt) Callum Nowell, Zac Powell, Lewis Rose, Auden Rhodes, Teddy Mee, Cameron Davies, Alwyn Walby  (Jack Mayo-Evans)   Subs not used: Finlay Skidmore, Oakley Samuel

Image: Courtesy of Simon Wright

By Editor

Lifelong Hereford supporter who has endured the rise and fall of the club through progressive generations. Sports journalist, broadcaster and commentator who will never forget his Edgar Street roots.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.